Before coming to Eastern as a science faculty, Dr. James G. Black was an employee of both the Philips Laboratory, Inc. (1945-1947), and the Naval Ordnance Laboratory in Silver Springs, Maryland during the 1950s and 1960s. During these years he worked in X-ray technology, television development, and in testing, design and improvement of weapons. He was the author of several papers which are on file with these companies, and with three other people, received a patent on an "Apparatus for Determining the Composition of a Substance." Detailed descriptions of some of his many inventions are included in these papers. He received patents for most of his inventions. Following his retirement, he developed a new type of ball point pen. As a faculty member at Eastern, Dr. Black testified on the floor of the House about the importance of science education. This event is documented with his speech as well as correspondence from members of Congress related to the testimony.
Only a portion of this collection has been digitized. See the Finding Aid for a description of the entire collection.