Thomas & Hazel Little Building Addition (Crabbe Library)

Exhibit Home

Little Building entrance of the Crabbe Library

Little Building entrance of the Crabbe Library.

In 1990, Eastern decided to expand the library after complaints of the building being too small. After several years, the school managed to raise $1.7 million for the addition. It was dedicated in 1996 and was named after Thomas and Hazel Little, who were alumni of Eastern Kentucky State Teachers College (classes of 1937 and 1929, respectively). The pair spent their entire careers committed to education. Thomas C. Little retired as superintendent of Richmond (VA) Public Schools in 1976 after four decades as an educator. One of his career highlights was spearheading the desegregation of the school system. Hazel Calico Little taught in various Kentucky school systems from 1929-46 and later taught at Peabody State Teachers College. In 1989, she established the Thomas C. and Hazel C. Little Institute for School Administrators at EKU to assist teachers who wish to further their education.