Elizabeth Rogers Residence Hall
Chestnut Street, Berea
This building is named for the wife of John A. R. Rogers, the first principal of Berea School. Elizabeth Embree Rogers was only eighteen when she arrived at Berea in 1858, although she immediately began teaching in the school. John Rogers (1827-1906), a native of Connecticut, was a member of Berea College ’s board of trustees until his death.
Gray and Lawrence of New Haven, Connecticut, were the architects of Elizabeth Rogers Hall. A Colonial Revival influence can be noted in several architectural features of this three-story brick structure. The denticulated cornice, the segmental arched dormers in the sharply pitched gable roof, and the stone belt course that separates the first and second floors all characterize the Colonial Revival style. The classical entrance includes an extended entablature supported by detatched stone columns with pilasters behind them. Massive-scaled interior end chimneys and recessed arched brickwork appear on the side facades.