Mrs. Frank Clay House and Joe Harris House

Mrs. Frank Clay House

MANW-2
405 West Main Street, Richmond
1880

The Clay and Harris House is the only Italianate style multi-residence with a side passage plan in Richmond. A double house, it has always been held by two different owners; one of the original owners, Mrs. Frank Clay (nee Watson), was the wife of a grandson of Cassius M. Clay.

The two-story brick structure is supported by a stone foundation and topped by a standing-seam metal roof. A pedimented porch on the west end of the front facade contains an entablature supported by four classical pillars, whereas a more simple gable-roofed porch has been placed on the east end. The low hipped roof with central chimneys extends to overhanging eaves supported by Italianate brackets.

The sash windows, some of which are paired, are surmounted with typical Italianate bracketed hood molds. On the side facades octagonal bays add a variation from the overall rectangular massing. The structure now contains offices as well as residences.

Richmond
Mrs. Frank Clay House and Joe Harris House