240 West Main Street, Richmond
The Collins Building was constructed as a furniture store, replacing a livery stable that had burned on this site in 1890. A triangular pediment to the name and date stone crowns this three-story structure. In addition to the difference in height, this building also is broader than others, thus serving as an intermediary between the high, broad Glyndon Hotel on the corner and those smaller buildings to the east. The window sills are stone, as is a string course directly below the second-story windows. The third-story window openings are arched and plain. The Collins Building is decorated with stamped-metal window hoods on the second-story windows and a paneled cornice with brackets.