Commercial Building

Commercial Building at 119 North First Street, Richmond

MAR-60
119 North First Street, Richmond
ca. 1876

The cast iron steel storefront has been preserved in this two-story brick structure. A heavy metal cornice and large brackets define the roofline, and a metal architrave molding separates the first and second stories. Three bays with arched metal windowhoods and stone sills appear on the second story. Two metal pilasters at the corners of the first story and three semi-engaged fluted metal columns, adorned with acanthus leaf capitals, frame the openings. The building is entirely in keeping in size, proportion, and decoration with the remainder of the block and is an excellent example of local commercial structures of the late-nineteenth century.