University Drive, Richmond
Like many other buildings on Easter’s campus, the C. C. Weber firm designed this Classical revival style hall. Five concrete Doric pillars support a two-story balustraded portico on the wide front facade of this women’s residence hall. The projecting wings feature single-story porticos with balustraded flat roofs. A dropped denticulated cornice spans the width of the main block and both wings, while above the cornice a parapet increases the apparent height of the building. The three-story brick facility has a raised basement which contained the campus cafeteria until 1940. Burnam Hall is named in honor of Judge Anthony Rollins Burnam (1846-1919), state senator, court of appeals justice, and prominent resident of Richmond, who influenced th decision to locate one of the state’s normal schools in Richmond.