First Baptist Church
360 West Main Street, Richmond
Gen. Green Clay, Cassius M. Clay’s father, deeded the lot on the corner of Main Street and Lancaster Avenue in 1828 to the trustees of the Particular Baptist Church. Now called the First Baptist Church of Richmond, it was one of the earliest churches in Richmond.
Architects Stamler and Gilling designed this classical revival style church in 1922 to replace an earlier structure on the site. Brick and decorative stonework mark this large bascilical-plan edifice. At the gable end unfluted Tuscan columns of stone support a classical pedimented portico that has been embellished with a stained glass window, dentils, and a classical entablature. Three double-leaf doors lead into the narthex of the sanctuary. Over the doors are semicircular stained glass fanlights with keystones at the apexes. Three squared windows above the fanlights repeat the stained glass.