Launey P. Clay House
814 West Main Street, Richmond
This small single-story frame house is locally well-known as the home of Cassius Clay’s adopted Russian-born son, Launey P. Clay (1866-1932). A projecting gable-covered porch supported by clusters of slender columns covers the central entrance on the five-bay facade. A circular vent within a central wall gable repeats in its pointed frame the same diagonal outline as in the gable and the porch below. Originally single-pile, the Launey Clay House now has a frame ell, yet retains the interior brick end chimneys and central-passage plan.