Middleton House

Middleton House

MASE-4
215 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond
ca. 1920

Built by local builder/contractor, Dave Myers, the Middleton House was the residence of Battie L. Middleton, proprietor of Middleton Pharmacy at the center of Main and Second Streets. Despite the addition of a sun porch, this one-and-one-half-story house remains Classical Revival in styling. Two symmetrical wall gables with deep cornices and returns flank a shed dormer, and all three project from the steep hipped roof. One wall gable is slightly recessed to allow for the asymmetrically placed single-story porch. A low balustrade embellishes the porch’s perimeter, and fluted Doric columns support the flat roof. Corbelled chimneys with terra-cotta chimney pots extend high above the roofline, adding a vertical thrust to an otherwise low-lying, horizontal effect. Middleton House is an example is an example of one sort of small, city residence of the early twentieth century.