St. Mark's Catholic Church
608 West Main Street, Richmond
Richmond’s only Roman Catholic church and its sole stone church is an example of Gothic Revival style architecture. The first church building, constructed in 1865, was a mission station under the Winchester parish. The present stone edifice was built in 1908 after a fire in 1906 destroyed the original small frame church building.
A pointed Gothic-arch opening located above the entrance in a central projecting tower contains three trefoil-headed stained glass windows. The windows of the side facades are also colorful stained glass. A steep gable roof supports a three-story tower with a pyramidal slate roof. The buttressed walls are ashlar limestone. St. Mark’s has changed little in the eighty years since it was built.