William Chenault House
Exhibit Home
- Historical Overview
- Architectural Overview
- Rural Madison County
- Hart House
- Lisle House
- Whitney/Cobb House
- Huguely/Green House
- Samuel Karr House
- Dozier/Guess House
- Shearer Store
- James Moberly House
- Lucien Griggs House
- Cane Springs Church
- Bybee Pottery
- Viney Fork Church
- Thomas Palmer House
- Mt. Zion Church
- Pleasant View
- Thomas Gibbs House
- Mataline Clark House
- White's Memorial Presbyterian Church
- William Walker House
- Duncannon
- Rolling View
- William Malcolm Miller House
- Mason House
- Hedgeland
- Valley View Ferry
- Spainhower House
- Andrew Bogie House
- James Bogie House
- Rolling Meadows
- Stephenson House
- Nathan Hawkins House
- Greenbriar/Arbuckle House
- Josiah P. Simmons House
- Farmers' Bank of Kirksville
- Kirksville Christian Church
- Elk Garden/Burnam House
- Hawkins/Stone/Hagan/Curtis House
- Turner/Fitzpatrick House
- White Oak Pond Christian Church
- Milton C. Covington House
- Hume House/Holly Hill
- Blythewood
- Mt. Pleasant Christian Church
- Homelands/Samuel Bennett House
- White Hall
- Isaac Newland House/Shelby Irvine House
- Tates Creek Baptist Church
- Merritt Jones Tavern/Wayside Tavern
- John Campbell House
- Dusinane
- Benjamin Boatwright House
- Reuben Stapp House
- Sleepy Hollow/Tevis House
- Thomas Taylor House
- James Hagan House
- William Chenault House
- William Morrison House
- Flatwoods Christian Church
- Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church
- Berea ...
- Richmond ...
MA-234
North of Lexington Road/US 25
1790-1820
This brick house rests on land granted in 1792 to William Irvine (1763-1819). Madison County’s first county clerk. Built for a prominent lawyer and state senator, William Chenault (1773-1834), the Chenault House expresses the Federal style. A three-row brick belt course spans the width of the front facade. This feature is somewhat unusual to Madison County architecture. A molded wooden cornice also extends across the width of the facade at the eaves beneath the gable roof. Flemish bond is confined to the front, with five-course common bond on the side facades. A stone foundation raises the first floor. The shape of the central doorway, originally an arched opening, has been flat-headed with shouldered architrave molding around the sidelights and transom at some point since the mid-nineteenth century. The original reeded window surrounds are still intact with stretcher-header jack arches above the windows. The windows themselves were enlarged and replaced in the mid-nineteenth century.