Moran-Summit Road, North of KY 595
Dunsinane gains its name from Shakespeare’s name for the country home of the Macbeth family. A stone marker at the rear of the house is inscribed “W B Oct. 22 1821.” The initials evidently represented Dunsinane’s first owner, William Barnett. Altered several otimes, the house was restored in 1942 by Earle B. Combs (1899-1976) of the New York Yankees and Baseball Hall of Fame.
Significant exterior features include a molded brick cornice as well as a mortarless stone foundation and basement walls. The windows were changed after an 1892 remodeling from small lights to single-light sashes. The broken-pedimented doorway and pillared portico with latticed balustrade are twentieth century addition.
Dunsinane has excellent quality woodwork on the interior. Noteworthy details include random-width ash floors, hand-carved door and window facings with corner details, and cherry-stained pine doors with wooden knobs. The walls of the dining room contain wainscoting edged by a chair rail. A cherry cupboard and a hand-dressed stone fireplace with its original hand-carved mantel are found in the dining room. Other fireplaces include a large arched cooking fireplace of stone and wide brick which dominates the kitchen and another arched brick fireplace with a carved mantel in the living room.