Mt. Pleasant Christian Church

Exhibit Home

Mount Pleasant Christian Church

MA-196
US 25 North
1849

Mt. Pleasant Christian Church was one of the early Disciples of Christ churches in Madison County. Organized from the union of two earlier congregations in this vicinity, Mt. Olivet and Pleasant Hill, the rectangular building was designed in the Gothic Revival style.

Arched windows on the gable end are accented by brick corbelling, and the cornice contains the same detail. Sidelights and a transom flank the doorway, now covered by a shed roof porch. On the side facades brick pilasters separate four Gothic pointed bays that enclose double lancet windows. Widely spaced brackets, originally supporting the overhanging roof eaves, have been removed.