Reuben Stapp House

Exhibit Home

Rueben Stapp House

MA-219
Muleshed Road
ca. 1795

The Rueben Stapp House lies in the vicinity of the community called Newby and along the banks of Silver Creek. Its first owner, Reuben Stapp, was born in 1765 and died in 1840. Massive hewn logs with V-notching are exposed, and large stone chimneys still stand at both ends of this rectangular gable-roofed house. The Stapp House has two rooms on either side of the dogtrot.

Rueben Stapp House

In one of the first floor rooms, a huge stone fireplace includes a large hearth raised slightly above the level of the wooden dogtrot floor, a massive segmental-arched opening, and a roughly hewn mantel shelf. Low wooden beams complete the character of the room. A narrow, enclosed L-shaped stairway with narrow winder treads leads up to the second floor rooms from the dogtrot.