Viney Fork Baptist Church
KY 499 and 374, Speedwell
Organized in 1797 as the United Baptist Church Christ on Muddy Creek, the Viney Fort Baptist Church building was completed in 1802. Extensive remodeling was done in 1886. The structural material, local sandstone with scored mortar, is unusual to Madison County. The entrance to this rural church is the earliest example of the two-door form preferred in several early rural churches of Madison County. (See MA-57, MA-92, MA-184, and MA-237.) There are two panel doors on the gable end of the building, each surmounted by a Gothic pointed-arch fan light with a simple tracery. These doors, as well as the three lancet windows with tracery found on the side facades were added in 1886. A wooden bell tower surmounts the clapboard-covered pediment of the gable end. A cemetery adjacent to this country church contains table tombs dated in the 1850s.