Mt. Zion Christian Church
US 421 South/Bighill Road
Architecturally, Mt. Zion is an outstanding early rural church, exhibiting elements of the Greek Revival style and utilizing the distinctive double entrances popular in antebellum church architecture in the Bluegrass. (See MA-57, MA-75, MA-184, and MA-237.) Greek Revival styling is especially noted in the details of the gable end with unusual double-stretcher Flemish bond brickwork and brick pilasters that support a denticulated entablature. The entablature and the raking cornice produce a pedimented facade. Around the two double-leaf doors are shouldered architraves, and jack arches are above the windows on the side facades.
Inside Mt. Zion Church a small narthex separates the entrance and the sanctuary. The original divided pews of wide poplar boards and original pulpit pieces remain part of the interior furnishings.
Inscribed on a plaque within the triangular pediment are the words, "Dedicated June 7, 1852...Stop and Worship with Us." Visitors, however, did not come to worship in Mt. Zion Church during the Civil War battle of Richmond on August 29-30, 1862. The small church, which stood directly between the Union and Confederate armies was struck by cannon balls, and their indentations are still apparent on the south walls. The church building served as a hospital for woulded soldiers and many were buried nearby.